Thursday, April 3, 2014

Overwhelmed with Yard Trimmings? Here is a simple solution.


In a perfect world I would compost every last twig and leaf into beautiful crumbly compost right in my backyard. But sometimes our yards’ dish out more leaves, branches, and cuttings than our current backyard composting system can take. If you’re like me, the thought of those yard trimmings sitting unappreciated in a landfill is too awful to bear, so what can we do?

Let me introduce you to my friend, the free Yard Trimmings Drop-Off sites.

Yard Trimmings Drop Off Sites

Every year, Hamilton County Recycling and Solid Waste District have three free drop offs for Hamilton County residents. You can bring extra leaves, branches (cut into 4 feet and no larger than 12 inches in diameter), trimmings from plants, and brush to the sites.

The material will be ground up and then composted by one of our partner companies.

The three sites are located in Anderson Township, Colerain Township, and Green Township. Check out the Yard Trimmings website for guidelines, hours, and other details.

Curbside Collection in Your Community

But, you say, I don’t live close to any of those drop off sites! Do you want me to strap branches to the roof of my Miata and fill the trunk with leaves?

Um, I guess not. Good point.

Your community may offer curbside collection of yard trimmings and then either compost the material themselves or bring it to a commercial composter. We have all the Hamilton County communities listed and what programs they offer here: http://hamiltoncountyrecycles.org/index.php?page=curbside-collection.

Over the years, I have used both of these outlets to compost material beyond my backyard pile (this includes filling up the back of my small Subaru hatchback with brush). Neither the drop-offs or the curbside collection will accept food scraps, so you'll have to make room for them.
 
Just remember to save enough leaves so you don’t run out in the summer and end up begging your neighbors to “borrow” some of their leaves.

 Happy spring, everyone!!!


A creative way to haul your leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment